Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Your sweet Nursery...

We had our ultrasound yesterday. It was quite eventful--Pea was very cute, however, not terribly cooperative. So we'll have to go back in four weeks so they can get a better look at her spine, specifically the upper neck area.
Pea is laying across my belly, looking straight out, which makes seeing anything on the back side of her kind of tricky. All limbs, digits, and organs looked great.

Exciting news...The nursery decorating has begun. We have no crib, just yet, but Dad (aka Grandy) brought Mama Camille's furniture to us this week. Dad/Grandy is spending the week with Barrett, so he loaded our future nursery set and dropped it off on Monday evening. It's so special to have my grandmother & namesake's (Lauren Camille) furniture for my little girl. This special set is around 84 years old and has lived in:

Mt. Airy, NC (manufactured)
St. Petersburg, FL (Camille Humes)
Stuart, VA (given to Karl & Anne Davenport)
Rocky Mount, NC
Athens, PA
Laurel, MS
Olive Branch, MS
Cincinnati, OH
Savannah, GA
Augusta, ME
Crystal River, FL
and now, Southgate, KY (Pea Connley)

That's quite a journey for furniture--and it looks amazing. I have been working on the furniture for the past couple nights: washing it, steel wool & staining blemishes and Old-Englishing it. It didn't look bad to begin with but it is really starting to shine. I forgot to take before and after photos, but will have some 'after' photos soon.

The furniture has brought some unexpected emotions. There is something really sweet about preparing a baby's nursery. And on top of that, the furniture holds such a special place in my heart.

When I found out we were having a girl, I had an idea to have a vintage nursery. I am a big fan of the new Pottery-barn style things but thought that doing an antique nursery would be different. I was on craigslist, etsy and ebay searching for the perfect items. Sometime during my search, I thought to ask Mom and Dad if they had anything that they would be willing to part with. Several years ago, they purchased my great-uncle & aunt's (Andy & Kay) home, complete with the estate of old furniture and goodies. Dad emailed back and said they had Mama Camille's set if I wanted it. I was thrilled! I envisioned getting some old pieces that were rugged and worn that would need some major TLC to turn Pea's space into a cool, vintage feel. I never expected to get this furniture. I immediately called Mom to make sure Dad didn't give away something that Mom was using. She wasn't using it any longer so it was good for them and great for me.

So, back to this week. I have spent every evening since Monday in the nursery. While I am cleaning it up, I have enjoyed a stroll down memory lane (and beyond). I can envision young Camille Humes getting her new furniture for the first time. I wonder if she loved it as much as I do? I picture my great-grandparents picking out the design and setting up the room. It is so delicate and sweet-I wonder what her room looked like. She must have been the apple of their eye. Little girls seem to have a way of doing that; Pea already has with me. It makes me sad that Pea won't know Mama Camille--but what a treasure that she'll have her furniture. I think (and hope) she feels a special connection to her through that.

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post- it brought a tear to my eye! I can't wait to see the furniture all fixed up. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It brought a tear to my eye, to write! We went with the wrought iron crib that you found--it will match the hardware on the furniture perfectly (at least we think & hope!)

    ReplyDelete