Saturday, March 12, 2011

While You Were Out.

I had my first business trip away this week. It was a two night stay in New York. Thankfully, my co-worker Holly was going--and it was New York. Both are very good things--likely the only reasons I made it through.

Dropping Whitney Paige off on Wednesday morning was worst than her first day of daycare, by far. I haven't been away from her for more than a handful of hours and this was a sad, sad day. I cried on the way to the airport. Then, I reminded myself of a couple things--all of which made the tears dry up:

1. Clark is an awesome Daddy!
He handles the morning routine with WP every day, so he knows all about waking up, fresh clothes, making bottles, packing the day care bag, etc. The only thing that he doesn't usually do is the night routine--but it's very much the same--only in reverse! A couple of times I have been able to drop off WP and he still insists on doing it. I think he likes his morning time with her. And she LOVES her time with him.

2. Sleep.
This is a word I am a bit unfamilar with. Yes, WP sleeps wonderfully (at least most of the time). However, I certainly have not had a solid night's sleep in 7 months. Between false alarms on the Angelcare monitor, midnight cries from babyland, and the neon lights from the video monitor, I find myself awake several times throughout the night. Add in Paul, the pup who couldn't sleep any closer to me if he tried, and you can imagine how my nights go.

I typically sleep very nicely in hotels. I think it's the bonus pillows that do it for me. I fall right into the pile and find that sleep comes very quickly. I was hopeful that this trip would prove to be the same.

3. Memphis
Not the city, the Broadway play. Holly and I got tickets to the show--Hey, When it Rome, right? While we were traveling for work, this was an added side trip. And one that I was very much looking forward to. We strategically purchased tickets for the last night of our trip, so that I would likely not be inclined to bail out early!

So, with these thoughts in my head, I loaded up and hit the air.

Upon arrival, I realized that NYC is the perfect city to not feel sad in. We were so busy and the bustle around us seemed to make the days (and nights) zip by. Before I knew it, I was back at LGA and making my way home.

I picked Whitney Paige up after I arrived and she was eager to greet me with LOTS of smiles. I was a little worried that she might not recognize me, but alas, she did. We spent what was left of the day hanging out. Aunt Whitney & Barrett came over for a visit, as well, so that made the arrival even sweeter.

Barrett and WP played and read to each other--its so funny to see them grow up! We tried to convince them to spend the night with us, since Clark (daddy) had show, so it was girls night. In the end, they headed home and WP and I cozied up for the night in.
I have come to realize that life moves on--business trips will come and go, days and nights fly by without notice, but the little life that sits in my house (and heart) has completely changed me. While everything around me continues on, it is so neat to feel her tug on my heart, no matter where I am. I wanted to buy everything I saw for her (and did get some goodies at FAO), I wanted to snuggle with her each night. There really wasn't a minute that didn't have her in it. It's amazing what 7 wonderful months will do to your heart. And the miracle of all is that it has done it to hers too! It's amazing to be loved unconditionally in return!

No comments:

Post a Comment