Wednesday, July 28, 2010

News for you Pea

Pea,
I have a little bit of not-so-good news. You are not going to be a September baby. You will not have the lovely sapphire as your birthstone. Nor will your mommy get a sapphire necklace as her "push present." hmfff.

The not-so-bad news. It will be at the longest, a few short weeks until we see your sweet face. At the shorted, a day or two. It's hard to believe that before long your little-bitty body will be next to me. I can and can't wait at the same time.

So, here's the scoop: we have preeclampsia. Just a few weeks back I wrote about what a big day it was for us to surpass Aunt Whitney and baby Barrett's day. We did, but we were apparently not in the clear.

I had a few blood pressure concerns the past month but nothing major and nothing that didn't go away. However, this past week (thursday) you and I had a doctor's appointment with a very high bp and protein in the urine. Both signs of pre-eclampsia. We did some blood work and more extensive tests and it lead us to a follow up appointment on Tuesday.

Your daddy went with me as we suspected I would be sent home on bed-rest for the duration of the pregnancy (6 weeks). We were hoping for this, as we had tickets to John Mayer/Train--who you'll probably never know about!, and we had your baby shower scheduled for Saturday. Both of which, I thought, would be allowed if I was sitting down.

To my surprise, we were sent straight to Good Sam. The news hit me a little hard--not because I minded the hospital visit and thorough investigation into what was going on, but I was really, really sad to miss the concert. I'm sorry now that I would have made a bad decision that could have been bad for you. Your dad assured me that he had no intention of me ever going if I was sent to bed. He would have probably won.

Anyhow, here we are now, waiting on blood work, 24 hour pee tests, blood pressure monitoring, etc. One doctor said we might be able to go home for a few weeks and that we'd plan on meeting you in the middle of August. Another informed me that I was probably here for the duration, which he thought at max would be another week.

ahhh. Hard to believe!

So, as for you Pea...You are in good shape. You weigh 4lb 3oz . You (we) have received one steroid shot, with the second to come. This is so you get the last boost of growth and so that your breathing does not cause you any troubles. The doctors feel that you are nothing but fine if you come along in the next day or so. I would like you to cook a little longer, even if it means I am laying in the hospital for 2-3 weeks.

You hang in there cutie. I'll see you sooner than I expected. I have big plans for us, but they are all worth waiting for (not to mention, your dad has a lot of shopping to do before you get here...I was so worried about getting your crib, I don't actually have bottles or diapers)--so hang tight Pea.

We love you and we'll see you very soon-
Mommy & Daddy

2 comments:

  1. We are anxiously awaiting every piece of news! We love you Pea! Charlee has some clothes for you to wear, diapers for you to crap in, and some bottles for you to borrow =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhh, but a ruby is prettier than a sapphire anyway, huh? can't wait to meet you pea....Aunt Ashley

    ReplyDelete