Friday, July 16, 2010

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

I am not sure which one pea is because she won’t show us her face! I’m just kidding; I at least know she’s not ugly. That’s just the way she makes my attitude when she doesn’t cooperate in the womb. I guess I should adjust my expectations—she can’t help it, at this age!

So, at this point, we have been in for two 3D ultrasounds, both of which my baby girl doesn’t like to show her face. Thankfully, they don’t send us home with 3D shots of her arm and forehead. We’ll go back one more time. If she remains stubborn (which I plan on), I will ask if I can trade in the u/s images for a massage!

Let’s see…in other news. The baby belly is growing and I certainly look pregnant. I am still really happy with my overall weight gain and think that I look like a decent preggers lady! Someone told me I looked like the body of the pregnant people that they draw on note cards and wrapping paper. What a compliment!! I don’t think I look that cute/sleek/hot, but my slightly chubby feeling is better than feeling huge & bulky. Here's the belly from last week (31 weeks).

Last Saturday, Clark and I went to an all-day baby class. It began at 9 am—it took all both of us had to keep our eyes open. We did learn a few things, like how to relax, how to breathe, what to pack, what symptoms to expect, etc. We also learned that bathrooms in Good Sam hospital are confusing: Clark went into the women’s restroom. We also learned that we get the giggles during relaxation techniques. I don’t think we will be giggling much when the time to put our new skills to the test comes, but, practicing was hilarious.

“Everyone close your eyes. You are a feather floating in the sky. Drifting down, down, down. Feel your neck. Feel your neck getting warm. Feel your neck getting warm and soft. It’s melting. Melting like butter in the ocean.” Seriously, how can you not laugh! I felt like a 10 year old in church, trying not to laugh—which makes laughing that much more likely.

In not so good news—I have made it to the ‘not fun’ phase of pregnancy. I realize that everyone’s experience is different, and my ‘not fun’ phase would probably be a day at the beach for many, many people. However, it is all that I know and so it is worth noting. By and far, my worst pregnancy symptom to date is swelling. My feet swell up a little, but, the majority is in my fingers. It is really painful. They don’t just get puffy, they actually become UNBENDABLE! Can you imagine?

I have also been having some episodes with High blood pressure. Any one reading probably knows this was the root of Whitney’s problems (at least we think) during pregnancy, which makes me very nervous. My past two doctor’s visits have required a series of tests, but in the end, they let me leave since the BP drops to what they consider normal. I am not sure if it’s nerves or what—but I seem to have a little trend of playing tricks on the nurses.

Last night, I had a mini-scare. I woke up around 3:00 am with a severe headache. My Tylenol was at work, so I couldn’t do too much about it. I had a little caffeine which I hoped would help kick-it to the curb. It did not. So, I lay in bed, paranoid. Whitney has loaned me her BP cuff, so I checked it. It was 141/104…Anything bottom number over 90 is considered high. I, of course, panicked. No sleep, pounding head, kicking baby. I moved to Hannah’s bed to watch TV but the light made me nauseous. I laid on the bathroom floor until about 5:00 am, when I figured I might as well take a shower and go to work. After my shower, the pounding stopped for a while and I was able to sleep until about 7. I re-checked the BP and it was 120/80, which is fine. Whitney and I spoke in the morning and she said that pain can sometimes cause BP to rise—BP rising can cause headaches. My BP might have been a result of the headache, not vice versa. Kind of like “Chicken or the Egg.”

No comments:

Post a Comment