Tuesday, March 16, 2010

28 and counting.

My birthday was Monday. It was a good day-work, dinner out, cake and goodies, cards. Birthdays are fun.

Birthdays are always a time of reflection. I don't reflect as much as I used to or want to-partly because work/life is busy and quiet time is rare. But at least once a year, I take a stroll down my own memory lane. I have been in cincinnati now for almost 8 years. It's weird to think back to being 20 and in this city. It's the longest I have lived in one place since I was in elementary school. It's certainly home. And with Pea coming, it will be even more so.

Of all things Cincinnati that I love, Clark wins! It's funny that my memory lane doesn't seem to really go beyond knowing him. I have known him since 2006, so there was certainly a lot of time pre-Clark, but the relationship that we had over the course of the past four years has been so big that other things just don't seem as important, or memorable. Don't get me wrong, the friendships were critical and shaping but the life now feels a million worlds away from the lonely 23 year old who was confused...and looking for clarity. I'm not saying Clark brought clarity to my life--he was just the person that I wanted with me on my journey. I couldn't imagine spending a birthday or holiday without him. And for another year, I am thankful that he was right there with me.

Reflections also made me miss my folks a ton. I always miss them, but birthdays are especially sad when you can't be with the ones who care most about that birthday! I tried not to be sad on my bday, but without Mom and Dad, it's just not the same.

Recent reflections (not going back 8 years) are amazing. Our family has been blessed and challenged...and then blessed again. Whitney went through the most difficult thing our family has experienced this year, that being the birth of sweet Barrett at 28 weeks. October was a trying month and one we will not forget. But the months following proved to be good ones for the miracle-babe. He's doing well and continues to improve. Life will never be the same, though. How fragile we are, life in general, and how necessary is God!

Clark and I also feel God everyday with Pea. What a miracle, just being pregnant. I can't imagine how much that sentiment grows as Pea grows and as he or she becomes an even bigger part of our world. 3 years ago, my biggest concern was Paul, the puppy. Now as he sits next to me, curled up like a little ball, I realize just how much life has changed. Paul is still important and always will be a special little dogger--but the good things in life go so much deeper! I look forward to 29 and the treasures that will accumulate between now and then!

1 comment:

  1. God has a loving, patient way of showing us what is really important! Glad your b'day was good, and we missed you too. Love you! Dad

    ReplyDelete