Wednesday, November 20, 2013

To My Babies...

Dearest Mr. Eli-

The fastest, most amazing year of my life has come to an end. It has been a year full of immense joy and pride as I watch you discover this world; I am overwhelmed with love for you. Your big, beautiful blue eyes and your illusive grin make waking up each morning a delight. I can’t quite put into words the face that you make, but it is one of such a little charmer. It’s easy to see that you could hurt a few hearts along the way. My job will be to keep you humble, considerate and loving and I pray that you never quite realize that you are a heartthrob! 

 
 
Most people say you are “cool as a cucumber” or too laid back to show much emotion, particularly compared to your expressive sisters. However, I know the truth, and it’s a special little secret we share.  You laugh, smile and sing with mommy all the time—and I love it. I don’t know if it’s intentional, or if this is the beginning of you being ‘my boy’ but it is a special little bond that we have.

With a big family, particularly with twins, I treasure the unique relationship that I can build with each of you. I know there will be many times that you are clustered into “the twins”, your name will be said as if it’s one name “Meg&Eli”, or “MegEli” as Whitney Paige refers to you two. But, I will do everything I can to let you know how unique, special and how individually & unconditionally loved you are.   And, my sweet darling boy, you are.

 
I love your delicate blonde, wavy hair. I simply adore your giant blue eyes, and the way they twinkle when you see me. I could watch you army crawl for hours and hours. I cherish your exploratory personality—no hallway is too dark, or too long, for you to not venture into. No door is shut too tight to keep your little fingers from prying in.

I love your generous spirit—yes—I can already tell. You are thoughtful with Meg—even if it means passing over the yellow ball that you were playing with first. And I adore how you adore your big sister. If mommy can’t light your face up, Whitney Paige sure can. You would follow her to the moon and back—and you just might. And, it’s impossible for her not to love you just as much. 


You have a love for music. I don’t know if this will go anywhere, but it let it be published that you have an interest so early that is more than what I could have instilled in you.  You sing along when I sing to you, you dance and bob around when music plays and you seek out the toy guitar and piano, more than the others. You even hold a toy broom like a guitar and bounce as if you are playing it. I hope that you continue this love and take after your daddy’s amazing musical talent. 

There is nothing in this world that I wouldn’t do for you. You make my heart bigger every single day, and for that, I thank you. I love you so much more than I can ever say.



 

Sweet little Meg,

Happy first birthday, my brown haired, blue-eyed beauty. The one with the softest, fairest skin, the bubbliest expressions and a belly laugh that is far larger than your tiny physique. You light up every single minute and have left me staring in wonder at just how magnificent you are. 

I love you to absolute pieces. You are warm and snuggly, you are generous with your smiles, laughs and kisses.

 
I have a very special bond with you, my dear girl. You aren’t the blonde hair, blue-eyed baby that everyone expected, and often, people ask “where did she come from?” or “who does she favor?” But, what few people know, and what I cherish deep inside is that you look just like your mommy!  I think it’s rare, as a parent, to actually see yourself in your kids. More often than not, other people recognize us in you all before we see it ourselves. But there is something between the spark in your eyes and the mischief in your grin that is more familiar to me than anything.  I recognize expressions you make, as my own.  In our busy household, I want each of you to feel so incredibly precious and special, and unique--because you are!. I want you to know, for your entire life, one of my greatest moments in my life was recognizing myself in you. You are your mommy’s daughter.

You follow in the footsteps of one who has what it takes to be legendary, and my fear of having a second daughter was that you might have trouble finding a place beyond her effervescent personality. I believe our wonderful Maker knows exactly what he is doing and in only a way He could, He designed you to not only follow in your big sister’s foot-steps, but to make them bigger. You will do great and mighty things.

Your first year has been an easy one, if having twins could ever be described as such. Aside from the first several months of spitting up (everywhere!!) you are the easiest baby we have had. You are bright-eyed and happy to be wherever you are. I pray that this trait will stick with you. Finding the best in any situation is a rarity and it will take you far. You are patient and you wait your turn, and you meet every opportunity with a grin and a shake of excitement.  (of course I don’t know if your patience is nature vs. nurture, as your little brother was a bit more demanding in the beginning and you happily adapted to whatever was needed of you.)
 
You are not a push-over.  You see something you want, like Eli’s yellow ball, and you plow across the room to get it. When Eli is asleep and you are not, you talk to him. When he doesn’t respond, you throw your toys towards his crib in an effort to wake him.

You are a resourceful, feisty girl with an initiative, you ARE going places baby girl—and it is the joy and privilege of my life to watch you get everything you can out of this big world. 


To both of you: the twinzers, MadsEi *as WP says*, Beef Brisket & Little Biscuit,
I pray that your morning chatter will turn into a life time of fulfilling conversation. I hope that your proximity during play time turns into a lifetime of nearness to one another. I pray that you love every second of your childhood, both as individuals and part of the wonderful duo that you are. 



While you have a unique relationship, an experience most of us will never know, I hope you will be just as close to Whitney Paige & Hannah as you are to one another. You have taken us from a little family of four, to a delightful Party of 6. The joy of discovering you, this past year, has been spectacular. You will always be ours, and we will always be yours.


I love you with everything I have,
Mommy
xoxoxo 


 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I love you. It's been awesome to see you as a mom. You were always so great with Hannah. God has definitely blessed you with 3 more babes lucky enough to call you mom. Love love love you friend!

    ReplyDelete