Sunday, January 3, 2010

Signs. Is it all in my head?

Clark and I had been trying to conceive for a while, so we were well versed in the timing of, well, everything. 2 weeks here, 2 weeks there, then another 2 weeks...wait, wait, wait. All to find out, we have to do it again! However, the upcoming 2 week wait was perfect timing for me as we had family coming to town midway through week one. It was Christmas and my thoughts, for the most part, were not on my body and whether or not this would be our month.

Really early in what is now determined as my pregnancy, I had experienced an increase in my need to urinate (i won't go in much detail now, but you will appreciate this fact later). I told Whitney and also Mom about this...I did research on UTI's and thought I might need to stock up on cranberry juice to prevent any issues.

I went on my merry way, making frequent detours at the loo.

On Christmas Eve night, I felt another symptom...I will spare the details here but did rely on Clark to verify if a certain area of the body was getting bigger. Hint, not my rear (yet.) I mentioned this to Mom and Whitney as well and probably set off a few alerts as to what might be happening.

Christmas morning, I took a test and it was negative. It was still too early for a positive read but I have never been known to be patient. I let go of the thoughts and went down stairs to open presents with everyone.

Three days later, I decided the issues I was noticing were not going away. I went to the mall and then to Target to pick up a few more sticks to test. As I walked into Target, the afore mentioned bladder issue struck. I rushed to the loo and fumbled with my belt, buttons, etc. I was a bit too late and definitely wet my britches. It wasn't terrible, but bad enough that I kept my jacket around my waist. I had better be pregnant or else the only diapers in my future would be for me!

I scooted along to the aisle and grabbed some tests. I wasn't going to take them until 14 days after ovulation. I went home and popped in a movie. Paul (the dog) and I curled up to what was apparently the saddest movie ever: P.S. I love You! I cried for 30 minutes straight before realizing that the sad part was over. Third symptom: raging hormones...Pee stick, here I come.

So I took the test and left the room. Somewhere inside I knew it was negative but then again, weird things were happening. Maybe they were all in my head. A few minutes later, I returned to see the words PREGNANT on the display screen (i was really glad I bought the digital so I didn't have to worry about which line was brighter!)

I immediately called Whitney. I wasn't sure if I would tell her or not but (patience-lacking) when she mentioned she was in Babies R Us for Barrett, I blurbed (sorry Clark!). I did proceed to tell Clark that night with a picture frame that says Daddy & Me and a bottle of Grey Goose vodka, which will be turned in for Mother Goose before long.

It was an exciting day. Lots of prayers that my excitement does not get ahead of me and that this baby will remain safe inside over the next few weeks (and beyond!)

No comments:

Post a Comment